During the Waverley Liberal Mayoralty, improving children’s playgrounds and recreation spaces were given priority. Waverley’s population has changed such that the average age is now relatively young at 30-34 yrs old and 22% of our residents are under the age of 20 which is greater than the Greater Sydney average. Many young families are moving into the area and are having babies, creating a mini ‘baby boom’.
WHAT WE DID:
1. Installed a new synthetic playing field on Oval No 2 in Waverley Park and installed additional lighting to all our fields and courts for use all year round.
2. New play equipment was installed in pocket parks at Dover Rd, Niblick Reserve and Stephen St. Playground upgrades have occurred at Clarke Reserve, Caffyn Park, O’Donnell St, MacPherson St, Marks Park and Bondi Beach Park, and we are now waiting for work to be done in Varna Park, Marlborough Reserve, Barracluff Park and Belgrave St.
3. A bike track for smaller children was created in Dudley Page Reserve.
4. Constructed multi-purpose courts and anew Bocce court with supporting amenities at Waverley Park.
5. Improved usability of playing surfaces by installing new underground watering systems in Barracluff Park and Rodney Reserve.
6. Lobbied state and federal governments for funding: renovations for North Bondi and Bronte Surf Clubs and the outdoor nets for Easts Cricket Club.
The Waverley Liberals want children to be active and healthy and are pleased to have been instrumental in creating and upgrading facilities for them.